In this digital nomad visa guide, we will cover the information and the steps that you need to be aware of in order to get a Barbados Digital Nomad visa.
The Caribbean Island nation of Barbados was quick in realising how Digital Nomads or remote workers could help its economy recover from the devastating slump in tourism that followed from The Covid-19 pandemic. On the 18t July 2020 it launched its brand new Remote Work visa called the Barbados Welcome Stamp. It was the first Caribbean country to offer a Digital Nomad Visa but was quickly followed by Bermuda.
This 12-month Barbados Welcome Stamp allows digital nomads and home working professionals to stay and work on this beautiful island. By being so quick in releasing the scheme, quite a lot of people took up the offer between the 1st and 2nd wave of the coronavirus. In a country where 36% of GDP is generated by tourist visits, long-stay Digital Nomads offset a part of the slump experienced.
If you don’t want to apply for the Welcome Stamp you can also use a tourist visa which allows you to stay up to six months each time.
Facts On Barbados
- Capital: Bridgetown – population of 110,000
- Currency: Barbados Dollar (2 BBD = 1 USD)
- Climate: tropical and humid day time max of 30 degrees celsius and 1300 mm or rain per year.
- Size: 431Km up to 34km in length and 23km in width
- Population: 287,025
- Official Language: Bajan Creole, English
- Internet Speeds: 101.77 Mbps Average (source speedtest.net)
- Cost of living index: 13 out of 138 (source numbeo.com)
How Do I Apply For The Barbados Welcome Stamp?
It’s is very straight forward as you can apply online here. All you need is to fill out the online application form and you will need to upload the following documents.
- Biodata page of passport – Principal Applicant and all other members of the Family Group
- PhotographPassport sized – Principal Applicant and all other members of the Family Group over the age of 18
- Proof of relationship of dependents – marriage certificate, partnership registration and birth certificates
- You will need to self certify an Income Declaration that you have an income of $50,000 a year to support yourself.
- You will need private health insurance coverage that includes Barbados. You can also buy this health insurance cover in Barbados if you can’t do this abroad. We recommend SafetyWing.
What are the Fees for the Barbados Welcome Stamp?
You only have to pay the fees upon approval and these are non-refundable.
- $2000 for an Individual
- $3000 for a family
How Long Will it Take?
- The application will be processed within 48 hours of receiving it and the Visa will be confirmed or denied within 5 working days.
- After the long-term visa is granted you have 12 months to activate it upon arrival. From the day it is activated you can stay in Barbados for 12 months. You can travel in and out of Barbados during the 12 month period of your visa.
Do I Have to Pay Income Tax?
- You will not have to pay income tax in Barbados for the 12 months duration.
What Other Caribbean Countries offer Digital Nomad Visas?
Nomad Girl has written an extensive article which is being kept up to date of all the countries offering Digital Nomad visas or programs. So far the following other Caribbean destinations are on the list:
As you can see it is a very straightforward process. With world travel severely hampered now you can make Barbados your home for the next 12 months and enjoy this paradise island with its friendly people. You can experience the digital nomad lifestyle and enjoy some vacation time at the more than 80 pristine white-sand beaches with a total length of 110 km.
Barbados has done a great job in keeping the spread of the coronavirus under control. As of the time of writing you need to quarantine for 5 days and have 2 negative PCR test.