Dominica not to be confused with the Dominican Republic is a lush tropical island with plenty of rainforests and is located between the French Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique. Dominica with a population of over 70,000 was one of the later countries in the Caribbean to come up with a Digital Nomad Visa. This new visa called the Work In Nature was created in response to the decline in the tourism industry a major income source for Dominica.
Watch prime minister Honourable Roosevelt Skerrit talk about the Work in Nature program. And why you should come and stay and work in Dominica an English speaking country that provides a safe environment among the amazing natural environment.
Dominica has plans to create a WIN (Work in Nature) Village! This will be a remote worker community that has various types of accommodation from luxury to moderate. It will also come with an array of support services, entertainment, shared social, and co-working spaces.
What Are the Requirements For the Dominica Digital Nomad Visa?
You will need the following document to apply for the WIN visa.
- Biodata page of a valid passport
- Proof relationship of the dependants via marriage certificate, birth certificate or adoption certificate.
- Police records of yourself and family members of all the jurisdictions in which you have lived in the past five years.
- Bank reference letter
- Letter of employment, or if self-employed recent bank statement and certificate of good standing and or credit report.
- Passport-sized photos.
- Visa to Dominica, this is only to passport holders of countries where visas are required for entry to Dominica.
- Health insurance that has coverage in Dominica.
All documents should be in English and if not a translated and certified copies are required.
What are The Income Requirements For The Dominica Digital Nomad Visa?
The income requirements for the Work In Nature Visa are $50,000 USD per year.
What Are the Covid-19 regulations with Regards to Dominica?
Dominica's Covid-19 regulations and safety protocols for inbound travellers is called Safe In Nature. You can find all details here. At the moment unvaccinated travellers must undergo a 7-day quarantine at a Safe in Nature certified property.
What Are the Fees for The Dominica Digital Nomad Visa?
The Dominia Digital Nomad Visa fees consist of:
- US$ 100 application fee which is non-refundable
- US$ 800 WIN (Work in Nature) Visa fee for a single applicant. The family application is US$ 1200.
- Businesses with multiple applicants can also apply US$ 800 plus $500 for each employee for businesses of more than three employees.
How Long Will It Take to Get the Dominica Digital Nomad Visa?
After applying online and paying the $100 non-refundable application fee you will know within 7 working days if you are approved or denied a WIN Visa. When approved you will have 30 days to pay the visa fee.
How Long Can I Stay With The Dominica Digital Nomad Visa?
Tourists are allowed to stay up to 90 days in Dominica. The WIN visa allows the holder to stay 18 months in Dominica and work remotely. At the moment it is not known if you can renew the visa.
Are There Any Tax Benefits with the Dominica Digital Nomad Visa?
There will be no Dominican Income Tax for people working remotely under the WIN Visa. There are also no capital gains and dividend taxes.
What is Life Like As A Digital Nomad In Dominica?
When it comes to Internet connectivity the average speeds for fixed broadband in Dominica are around 43 Mbps according to Speedtest. If you require high-speed internet and have larger bandwidth requirements the WIN Dominica program is happy to assist you.
Dominica is known as the Nature Island of the Caribbean. It is a mountainous island with natural hot springs, waterfalls and a tropical environment. The Mome Trois Pitons National Park is home to the second-largest volcanic heated steam-covered boiling lake and the large 65m Trafalgar Falls. This national park became a Unesco world heritage site in 1997.
Dominica has around 200 beaches with some of them unexplored and not developed. The best beaches are Champagne Beach, Mero Beach (closest to the capital Roseau), Batibou Bay, Pointe Baptiste and Douglas bay. Take your work and laptop to the beach and relax from all the stress from the outside world.
For city life visit Roseau the capital with a population of 15,000 and enjoy the 18-th century Creole architecture and its cobblestone old market.
Watch the Minister of Tourism, the Honourable Denise Charles, explain what it is like in Dominica and why you should come.
For more information check out the tourism website, Discover Dominica.
Other Caribbean Islands with Digital Nomad Visas
Dominica is not alone with a Digital Nomad visa. It all started with Barbados and a few other islands followed quickly with their Digital Nomad visas. Most Caribbean islands are heavily dependent on tourism and saw a new niche market appear of offering Digital Nomads extended long term visas and the possibility to do work remotely.
These are the other Caribbean destinations offering remote work visas:
- Curaçao – @Home in Curaçao
- Barbados – The Barbados Welcome Stamp.
- Bermuda – Work From Bermuda Certificate
- Antigua & Barbuda – Antigua Nomad Digital Residence
- Anguilla – Work From Anguilla
- Cayman Islands – Global Citizen Concierge Program
- Montserrat – Montserrat Remote Work Stamp
- The Bahamas – Bahamas Extended Access Travel Stay
- Grenada – Grenada Digital Nomad Visa
- St Lucia – Live It
Some other nearby countries with Digital Nomad Visas that offer long stay beach access to the Caribbean Sea are:
- Panama – Short Stay Visa for Remote Workers
- Costa Rica – Rentista & Digital Nomad Visa
- Mexico – Temporary Resident Visa
Alternative Tropical Islands With Digital Nomad Visas
If you fancy tropical island life there are a few alternatives not in the Caribbean that offer a Digital Nomad Visa:
- Sri Lanka
- Malta – Malta Digital Nomad Residence Permit
- Cape Verde – Remote Working Cabo Verde
- Mauritius – Premium Travel Visa
- Seychelles – Seychelles Workcation Program
Nomad Girl has created an extensive list of Digital Nomad visas that is updated regularly.