With a total of 16 major islands to explore and beautiful sandy beaches and crystal clear waters, some of them with swimming pigs, who does not want to explore the Bahamas.
Nassau, Freeport, Marsh Harbour, and West End are some of the major cities in the Bahamas, a country with a population of almost 400,000.
The Bahamas is close to Miami so you have easy access to the USA and the rest of the world, also the timezone makes it easy for anyone that has clients and working schedules around North and South America.
The Bahamas like other Caribbean islands has been quick to create its own Digital Nomad Visa which is called Bahamas Extended Access Travel Stay (BEATS). It is super easy to apply for, everything can be done online. The program also allows for students to study remotely and use some of the facilities of the University of The Bahamas.
With BEATS the Bahamas want to encourage visitors to explore all the 16 major islands, so there is no need for a fixed accommodation for the duration of the visa.
With the BEATS visa, you have an excellent alternative as a digital nomad that is different from the traditional hangouts like Bali and Thailand.
What Are the Requirements For the Bahamas Digital Nomad Visa?
To start the online process for the Bahamas remote work visa you need surprisingly little. The following is required:
- Valid passport
- Health insurance coverage that includes The Bahamas
- Proof of employment for remote workers. This can be proof of self-employment or an employment contract.
- Student ID for those that want to study remotely.
What are The Income Requirements For The Bahamas Digital Nomad Visa?
There are no income requirements stated for the BEATS program. However, depending on your citizenship there might be additional requirements for immigration, like passport validity, accommodation, return ticket and proof of income to support yourself.
The citizens of the following countries are exempt from any additional requirements for the BEATS program: the United States, Canada, European Union, and the United Kingdom.
You need a high income to live in the Bahamas as it is one of the most expensive countries in the world when it comes down to the cost of living. Check the cost of living at Numbeo.
What Are the Covid-19 Regulations with Regards to The Bahamas?
At the moment you do not have to be fully vaccinated to enter the Bahamas a PCR test is sufficient.
Everyone (vaccinated and unvaccinated) will need to apply for the Bahamas Travel Health Visa and pay the applicable fees. Click here for more information.
What Are the Fees for The Bahamas Digital Nomad Visa?
BEATS for Professionals
- $25 USD application fee per applicant
- $1000 USD permit fee for each remote working applicant
- $500 USD permit fee for each additional family member, if the dependent is also remote working the $1000 USD fee applies.
BEATS for Students
- $25 USD student application fee
- $500 USD student permit fee
- Optional fees up to a maximum of $1885 USD for access to the University of The Bahamas. See FAQ for more details.
How Long Will It Take to Get the Bahamas Digital Nomad Visas?
After applying online and paying the $25 application fee you will know within 5 working days if you are approved or denied a BEATS Visa. When approved you will pay the remote work permit fee and you will get a QR code for entry. It is that simple.
How Long Can I Stay with The Bahamas Digital Nomad Visa?
Unlike the Bahamas Tourist Visa which allows you a maximum stay of 90 days, the Bahamas Digital Nomad Visa will allow you to stay up to one year. After that, you can renew it twice and stay for a total of up to 3 years.
What Is Life Like as A Digital Nomad in The Bahamas?
Average Internet speeds for fixed broadband are around 66 Mbps according to Speedtest. The Bahamas has a total of 5 coworking spaces which all can be found in the capital Nassau on New Providence Island. So if you explore the other islands you will have to do with Internet access in hotels or your rental accommodation.
Moving to the Bahamas means you will get to experience festivals and celebrations like the Andros Crab Festival, Junkanoo Carnival, the Bahamas International Film Festival, or the Eleuthera Pineapple Festival. Bahamian culture values arts there are plenty of events and festivals with dancing and music.
When it comes to counties cuisine, seafood is a major ingredient. Relaxing on the beach can be done almost everywhere but there are plenty of other activities like sailing, fishing, diving, snorkelling, tubing, parasailing etc. At Grand Bahama Island you can dive and interact with Atlantic bottlenose dolphins. You can swim with the pigs on the island of Exuma.
Other Caribbean Islands with Digital Nomad Visas
The Bahamas is not alone with a Digital Nomad visa. It all started with Barbados and a few other islands followed quickly with their Digital Nomad visas. Most Caribbean islands are heavily dependent on tourism and saw a new niche market appear of offering Digital Nomads extended long term visas and the possibility to do work remotely.
These are the other Caribbean Islands offering remote work visas:
- Barbados – The Barbados Welcome Stamp.
- Antigua & Barbuda – Antigua Nomad Digital Residence
- Bermuda – Work From Bermuda Certificate
- Cayman Islands – Global Citizen Concierge Program
- Anguilla – Work from Anguilla
- Montserrat – Montserrat Remote Work Stamp
- Dominica – Work In Nature
- Curaçao – @Home in Curaçao
- Grenada – Grenada Digital Nomad Visa
- St Lucia – Live It
Some other nearby countries with Digital Nomad Visas that offer long stay beach access to the Caribbean Sea are:
- Costa Rica – Rentista & Digital Nomad Visa
- Panama – Short Stay Visa for Remote Workers
- Mexico – Temporary Resident Visa
Alternative Tropical Islands With Digital Nomad Visas
If you fancy tropical island life there are a few alternatives not in the Caribbean that offer a Digital Nomad Visa:
- Sri Lanka
- Malta – Malta Digital Nomad Residence Permit
- Cape Verde – Remote Working Cabo Verde
- Mauritius – Premium Travel Visa
- Seychelles – Seychelles Workcation Program
Nomad Girl has created an extensive list of Digital Nomad visas that is updated regularly.